We’re sweet on these mini cherry pies made with Nature’s Harvest® Honey Wheat Made with Whole Grain Bread.
6 slices Nature’s Harvest® Honey Wheat Made with Whole Grain Bread
1 tablespoon butter, melted and divided
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar, divided
2 cups pitted cherries, sliced
2½ tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Pinch of salt
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup water
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon lemon zest
4 mini skillets
1 circle-shaped cookie cutter, or cup
1 mini heart cookie cutter
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Slice crust off each slice of bread and roll flat. Brush melted butter in each skillet and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place a slice of bread into each skillet and press gently. Bake 10 minutes.
2. Take the remaining 4 slices of bread and cut strips out of 2 slices and circles out of the other two using circle-shaped cookie cutter. Take a mini heart cookie cutter and cut a heart out of the circle slices.
3. In medium saucepan, combine cherries, flour, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and water and cook at medium heat until mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
4. Remove from heat and add vanilla along with lemon zest.
5. Place some of mixture into each skillet and top 2 with strips of bread, making a lattice and the other 2 with the circle and mini heart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes and serve with ice cream if desired.